The split function is used to split a contact handle into two separate contact handles. The main purpose is to enable updates to a contact handle when a registry does not allow a specific update without having to update all domains using the contact handle. In this case, the split can be used to separate the prohibiting registries to a new contact handle, enabling the existing contact handle to be updated. The new contact handle will have the same contact details, validations and evidence are copied. Additional properties will be moved to the new contact handle for the selected registries, others will stay at the old contact handle.
- To split a contact, look up the contact handle you want to split and select 'Split' in the action menu.
- Create a name for the new handle and select 'split contact'.
- The split contact action will create a new contact handle as shown below, by clicking on 'Domains' you will see that all domains connected to the selected registry in the split action have also moved to the split contact handle allowing you to update the original contact handle without any issues.
- Below you can review an image of the page detailing which domains are connected to a contact handle as used registrant handle.
- You've now successfully executed a split action.